CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 3, 2011

Chocolate Filled Cherry Day

January 3rd is Chocolate Filled Cherry Day and no matter where I looked I could not find a recipe for that. (So if you have one please share it with me, PLEASE!)

So since I did not have anything to make to go along with today's food celebration I decided that I would share the recipe for the amazing soup that I made on Saturday for lunch.

So here is the recipe and a picture....

The Lady's Chicken Noodle Soup by Paula Deen

One 2 1/2 to 3-pound fryer, cut up
3 1/2 quarts water (Next time I will use more than that, probably about 5 quarts)
1 onion, peeled (I also diced mine as I wanted to leave it in the soup)
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning (I used 2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 bay leaves
3 chicken bouillon cubes
Salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients to a pot. Cook until chicken is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes (I cooked mine about 35 minutes). Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Remove and discard bay leaves and onion (I left the onion in and thought it was a great addition to the soup). You should have approximately 3 quarts of stock. When chicken is cool enough to touch, pick bones clean, discarding bones, skin, and cartilage. Set chicken aside. For the next step, you will need:

2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery, with leafy green tops (I did not add this as I do not care for celery)
2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles (next time I make this I will be using homemade noodles)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese (the recipe says this is optional but I didn't really believe that)
3/4 cup heavy cream (again the recipe says this is optional, YEAH RIGHT)
1/3 cup cooking sherry
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring stock back to a boil, add carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Add celery and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes (since I did not add the celery I just cooked the carrots for 13 minutes). Add egg noodles and cook according to directions on package. When noodles are done, add chicken, cheese, cream, and sherry. Cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed (mine did not need anything) by adding salt and pepper.

Again, let me say that this soup was delicious! I already have plans to make it again this month. And all of my children asked for the leftovers the next day. I would highly recommend giving this soup a try! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

2 comments:

AKTigger said...

Ha ha ha......I love it....you cook like I do! I thought being physically unable to follow a recipe without "improving it" along the way was a genetic defect (my Mom has the same problem).

REJOICING said...

That's the best part of cooking... making the recipe your own and leaving it better than you found it (hopefully).
And I got that gene from my mom too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...